I write to formally introduce Mating Intelligence Unleashed, written by myself and my esteemed collaborator, Scott Barry Kaufman of NYU. This book, published and released this year, has received positive reviews in such venues as Nature (“A lively, copiously researched treatise”) and the Chronicle of Higher Education (“Despite its retro comic-book cover, Mating Intelligence Unleashed unleashes some excellent science …” (D. Barash)).*
This book is the result of years of research by Scott and myself, and we hope that it will help serve as a guide for future work on the interface of mating and intelligence – and will help get students in the behavioral sciences excited about this approach to understanding human nature.
We designed this book, which has a provocative and inspirational foreword written by Rutgers’ Helen Fisher, to serve as both a sophisticated introduction to the field of intimate relationships for a general audience – as well as a summary of work in this field for students at both the undergraduate and graduate levels in the social, biological, and behavioral sciences. The book has nearly 1,000 scholarly references – largely to cutting-edge research in this area of inquiry – so it should be beneficial for advanced scholars in the field as well.
If you might consider using this for a course that you teach, please check out Oxford’s page for the book here (you can order an examination copy):
Note that this book is priced to sell at $27.95 (hardcover) – and it’s less at amazon:
… and even less on kindle (at about $12!):
The start of the book is found here:
And you can find the Facebook page for the book here:
Note that amazon bases its promotional strategies partly on customer reviews and ratings – so if the mood strikes and you might find time to post a customer review on the amazon site for the book, that’d likely help this work reach a broader audience.
Of course, feel free to post a link to this promotional page or forward this information to others who may be interested in the psychology of human mating and the nature of human intelligence – and don’t hesitate to contact me (or Scott!) with any questions.
Glenn Geher, co-author of Mating Intelligence Unleashed
*media attention for Mating Intelligence Unleashed:
- Review of MIU by David Barash in Chronicle of Higher Education
- Article on creativity and mating intelligence, citing Mating Intelligence Unleashed, in blog by Susan Walsh on “Hooking up Smart” website.
- Review of Mating Intelligence Unleashed (with Scott Barry Kaufman) in CHOICE: Current Reviews for Academic Libraries (by R. Cornelius)
- Article on mating intelligence (in German) by Jochen Metzger in Psychologie Heute (German counterpart to Psychology Today)
- Article on overspending by NBC Today Show financial correspondent, Jean Chatzky (at retailmenot.com)
- Article on MIU and deceptive spending by Anna Broadway in The Atlantic
- Interview on MIU (along with Scott Barry Kaufman) on Art of Manliness with Brett McKay
- Blog for Oxford University Press (co-authored with Jessica Fell Williams) on Korea’s “Black Day” (a celebration of single-hood) in terms of Mating Intelligence
- Interview with Marc Lamont Hill on deception in dating (Lying for Love) on HuffPost Live.
- Excerpt of interview with Marc Lamont Hill featured on AOL.com
- 8 Dating Lies that Men and Women Tell – article co-authored with Briana Tauber in the Huffington Post
- Several blogs posted in Newspapers around the nation via Amy Alkon’s syndicated column which mentions Mating Intelligence Unleashed. Example: Houston Press.
- Interview with Michelle Skeen on KCAA radio (with SBK)
- Valentine’s Day inteview with Joy Cardin on Wisconsin Public Radio (with SBK)
- Review of Mating Intelligence Unleashed in The New Scientist by Kate Douglas
- Brief review in NY Times on Mating Intellignce Unleashed
- Brief review in Nature on Mating Intelligence Unleashed
- Interview on Amy Alkon’s radio show (with co-author of Mating Intelligence Unleashed, Scott Barry Kaufman)
- Inteview with Mo Rocca on CBS Sunday Morning regarding the mating choices of tall women
- Library Journal‘s review of Mating Intelligence by Scott Vieira
- Washington Post mention of Mating Intelligence Unleashed in article on online dating by Lisa Bonos (picked up by York Daily News and Denver Post and others)
- New York Post article by Dana Schuster providing 11 Valentine’s season tips based on Mating Intelligence Unleashsed.
- Mating Intelligence Unleashed covered in Campaign for the American Reader
- Mating Intelligence Unleashed covered in the Page 99 Test
- Brief review of Mating Intelligence Unleashed in February issue of Elle Magazine
- Quoted in (a different!) Redbook article – by Hannah Hicock titled “28 Ways to Have a Sexy February”
- Quoted in Flare Magazine article by Wing Tang – article is all about Mating Intelligence (titled “Sex on the Brain”)
Glenn Geher, Ph.D.
Director of Evolutionary Studies
Chair and Professor of Psychology
State University of New York at New Paltz
600 Hawk Dr
New Paltz, NY 12561
Office: JFT 314a
Phone: (845) 257-3091
Fax: (845) 257-3474
New Paltz’s Evolutionary Studies Webpage:
Website for the international Evolutionary Studies Consortium:
For my office hours, please see: glenngeher.com
“Some will remember, no doubt, not only did they attend college, but that they went to the mountain.” H. D. Thoreau