Aug. 2004 – Present State University of New York at New Paltz, New Paltz, NY
Full Professor of Theatre Arts in the School of Fine and Performing Arts. direct productions; perform in mainstage productions; coach student actors; supervise directing projects; recruit students; teach acting (all levels), play analysis, senior capstone; advise students; serve on Departmental, College, and University Committees.
- Acting: An Introduction to the Art and Craft of Acting. Allyn & Bacon. Boston. April 2006.
- The Players’ Journal. Managing Editor. Volume 1-2. 2006-2008. Website: theplayersjournal.org
Aug. 1998 – July 2004. State University of New York at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, NY
Assistant Professor of Theatre Arts in the College of Arts and Sciences. Direct mainstage productions; coach student actors; recruit students; teach acting (all levels), stage movement, graduate seminar in acting theory; advise students; serve on Departmental, College, and University committees.
2000-2003. Director of Undergraduate Studies—Responsible for recruitment and retention, advising, course scheduling, website maintenance; represent Department at College meetings.
- Founded Asylum Theatre Company, a performing ensemble of Equity actors committed to creating and developing theatrical work that is responsive to the needs and concerns of, and the significant events that occur to, individuals and groups within the community.
- Revised and redefined undergraduate mission and curriculum, focusing on collaboration, group learning, and creativity
- Designed and implemented new course THR 100: Performing and Performance
Aug. 1993 – May 1998. Bradley University , Peoria, IL
Assistant Professor of Theatre Arts in the Slane College of Communications and Fine Arts. Head of Acting Program; direct mainstage productions; perform in mainstage productions; coach student actors; supervise directing projects; recruit students; teach acting (all levels), stage movement, voice for the actor, senior seminar in performance studies, theatre appreciation (summer/interim sessions); advise students; serve on Departmental, College, and University Committees.
- Revised curriculum, created new courses, re-developed Performance Concentration, and redesigned the Senior Seminar as a pre-graduate course in performance studies and career planning
- Redesigned and developed recruiting program, implemented database management program, more than doubling enrollment of incoming classes in two years
- Adapted, directed, and produced tour for The Shakespeare Company, created to introduce Shakespeare to junior and high school students
Jan. 1991 – May 1993. Professional Studio, New York, NY
Weekly scene study class with working professional actors. Teach styles and technique, auditioning; provide career support; bring in playwrights once a month for work on new material; produce periodic showcases in conjunction with other theatre organizations.
Sept. 1991 – June 1993. The Anglo-American International School, New York, NY
Director of Drama/Creative Wing Chair. Teach International Baccalaureate Theatre Arts, improvisation and theatre games; direct/design productions; develop curriculum.
- Rebuilt entire theatre program, created curriculum, developed production program, participated in design and building of dedicated studio theatre facility
- Participated in pilot program for the International Baccalaureate Theatre Arts program, developing curriculum and generating assessment criteria.
1989 – 1993. Ensemble Theatre Community School, Eagles Mere, PA
Six-week summer program for high school students. Teach beginning acting and improvisation technique; direct productions; lead workshops in fencing, auditioning, and playwriting; advise students; develop curriculum; design workshop for theatre educators.