Interim Dean—School of Fine and Performing Arts
The School of Fine and Performing Arts enrolls over 1000 students and employs 100 faculty members, with an operating budget of over six million dollars, housing nationally ranked programs in the departments of Art, Art History, Music, and Theatre Arts, the Dorsky Museum of Art, PianoSummer Institute and Festival and, with the School of Science and Engineering, the Digital Design and Fabrication Certificate Program.
- Supervise all undergraduate and graduate degree programs
- Supervise public visual and performing arts programs and events
- Work with Senior Administration on Public/Private initiatives, StartUp-NY, OPEN SUNY
- Lead analysis of programs, facilities, internal and external constituencies
- Collaborate with working group and faculty on devising and implementing plan (in progress)
- Hire and retain faculty
- Evaluate faculty and staff for re-appointment, tenure and promotion
- Review and recommend to Provost Sabbatical/pre-tenure leave/creative-scholarly research grant proposals, Provost and Chancellor’s Excellence Awards, Discretionary Salary Awards
Program Assessment and Accreditation
- NASAD, NASM, NAST
- Prepare and submit personnel and operating budget to Provost (with Assistant to the Dean)
- Oversee management of Foundation accounts
- Prioritize and approve supplemental annual budget requests
- College Theater, Parker Theater, Smiley Arts Building, Fine Arts Building, College Hall (Music), Studley Theater, Old Main (Photography & Graphic Design)
- Prepare and submit to Cabinet facility improvement projects
- Review and prioritize Academic Equipment Requests
Development and Alumni Relations
- Work with VP for Development and Alumni Relations to coordinate fund-raising efforts
- Devise strategies with Departments for developing alumni relations and fund-raising opportunities
- Development of an art/design and computer science/engineering Digital Design and Fabrication certificate program and undergraduate minor in collaboration with the School of Science and Engineering. Project co-director on Consolidating Funding Application ($1 million grant awarded, December 2013)
- Joint arts entrepreneurship program in partnership with the School of Business.
- Community arts programs: Saturday Arts Lab for young people and adults; a Teacher Institute for P-12 arts teachers, and an intensive, residential Pre-College Arts Lab program for high school students (both beginning Summer 2014).
- Maintain and renew Advisory Board
- Create and empanel Student Advisory Board
May 2011 – June 2013 State University of New York at New Paltz
Associate Dean—School of Fine and Performing Arts
Curriculum and Assessment
- Assist with the development of new courses and programs, especially cross-disciplinary initiatives.
- Review all curriculum proposals for new programs and courses, and program and course revisions.
- Review all catalogue changes and revisions.
- Coordinate F&PA GE course assessment, program assessment within departments and programs, and accreditation reviews; document art-making process and student learning through video of classroom projects; work with Dean to capture learning evidence; present findings at conferences.
Schedule, Curriculum, and Enrollment
- Clarify policies and goals for course scheduling, maintain ongoing communication with chairs and directors around preparing and submitting F&PA course schedules.
- Review and approve all F&PA course schedules; submit to registrar by published deadlines.
- Review enrollments and, consultation with chairs and directors, develop solutions for under-enrolled and over-enrolled courses.
- Write, create, and direct F&PA promotional video for recruiting
- Prepare semester Faculty Utilization Report, detailing loads and assignments.
- Review independent study, fieldwork, excess credit, course withdrawal, waivers; act on other administrative requests/actions.
- Review and resolve student problems, including grade appeals, academic integrity.
- Assist in the maintenance and updating of F&PA website.
- Assist dean with projects, programs, and other administrative duties as assigned.
May 2010 – May 2011 State University of New York at New Paltz
Associate Chair, Department of Theatre Arts
- Assessment. Lead assessment activities for courses in Major, concentrations, General Education courses. Report to Dean and Associate Provost.
- Curriculum. Lead review of course rotation, faculty assignments. Serve on Curriculum committee. Report to chair and Dean.
- Personnel. Chair subcommittee on Reappointment, Tenure and Promotion. Chair Theatre Movement Specialist search.
- Finance. Assist chair on general and production budgets.